Thursday, December 31, 2009

Sort and Chuck

At this time of year I seem to get an overwhelming urge to have a good sort and a chuck! Maybe it's a kind of 'let's tidy things up as a way of closing off the old year and starting the new one off fresh'... not sure.

The other day I was in full-on 'sort and chuck' mode and next in line was the de-cluttering of my wardrobe. Unexpectedly, one of our daughters turned up - perfect timing! I co-opted her to help me. She has a good eye for style, she's decisive about what needs to go and doesn't get caught into the trap of being sentimental, which gets me every time!

So with Darling girl sprawled on our bed, in no time at all the room was filled with clothes and hangers, a discard pile mounting in the corner and I was being instructed to try things on for checking to see whether it made the 'cut'. I did linger on the odd garment or two... savoring a memory associated with it and struggling to part with the said 'special' thing. However, once it was tossed aside I felt OK about it! So now my wardrobe is parred down to a much more manageable arrangement and I feel great knowing that what remains will be quite adequate.. mmmm with maybe the odd summer sale item thrown in at a later date! I can see things much clearer and the clothes aren't as jammed up as they were. Those hangers just roll along that rail now! I know that will help me to make better 'what shall I wear today' decisions.

This is also a time of year when I try to do a little extra de-cluttering of the soul... I seem to accumulate a few things by way of bad attitudes, unhelpful thought patterns, memories of past stuff that is better left in the past. I say to myself 'chuck it' and move on.
Along with that I enjoy taking the opportunity to think on things that have happened during the year that I am thankful for, the lessons I have learned... the people who have challenged me and helped me to become a better person. I say to myself 'keep thinking on those good things' and I can now move forward into the new year with a fresher outlook. I hope, God helping me that this means I will be able to see things more clearly and make better decisions too!

3 comments:

  1. The end of the year brings similar sentiments and actions for me too. On a physical level we've been seriously clearing out the clutter... in the garage, under the stairs, in the study... it's a lot of work, but feels fabulous once done. On an emotional level I find New Year's a very strong time for reflection and a moment to stop and consider the past to make way for the future.

    Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!

    P.S. Your daughter sounds like the perfect person to have on hand when de-cluttering wardrobes - have you thought of hiring out her expertise?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you guys! All the best for your New Year too - sounds like you're paving the way for a good one! Yes, she'd go well with a de-clutter business I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. de-cluttering is as good as a holiday
    Sharon - well, almost :)
    Most times the things left gathering dust aren't ever used again.
    I tend to hang on to bits I might use to sew one day for children's dressing up costumes,
    but overall its a good idea to chuck,
    and becomes useful to someone else.
    Happy New year. Del

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter