Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Table Centrepiece

The French LOVE their flowers! Even the tiniest villages seem to be furnished with a florist! There is nothing quite as charming as flowers on the dinner table or anywhere in the house for that matter! Gardening is definitely not one of my strong points. My usual approach is rather haphazard, I have fits of weeding the whole garden systematically, but that may well be followed by a long period of total neglect. Under my watch plants either survive by sheer guts and determination OR they curl up their toes and die!

To be fair though - we DO do OK at the vege garden thing! Good, fresh food rates way up there for us. Darling man does the lawns about as regularly as I sweep and vacuum the floor - regularly enough! Every now and then we have a major cull of plants that have grown too large for a town garden which consists of backing up the car, hooking the plants to a sturdy tow rope and wrenching the prickly sods out and replanting some of the smaller shots ...
As I was perusing the garden scene recently I noticed that Pete's Mum's pot plant, well one that came from her place... was looking rather dashing. Quite by chance mind you! So I promptly co-opted it for the 'centrepiece' of our new garden table. This inspired me and prompted me to make a plan to get things a bit sorted.....

Didn't we have some fabulous gardening weather over Labour Weekend? We managed 3 very enjoyable half days in our back garden. Darling Man did a satisfactory amount of bonding with his chainsaw, despite a bad shoulder... leveled a dead old tree to the ground and sorted out the firewood stack all ready for new wood to be added. And I weeded and tided and pottered with pots and plants to my hearts content... ending the weekend with the garden looking pleasing enough for me to continue on a more regular basis in the future. I can't wait to get back out there once some inside jobs are up to date!

Our humble back garden is a nice place for us to 'be', it's sunny, reasonably private but it still has a 'neighborly feel' - we enjoy this little outdoor space. We had our lunch out there at the weekend and it's also somewhere we have enjoyed having an evening drink and nibbles with our neighbor. I hope we spend even more time out there over summer - both in tending the garden and in sitting and relaxing. It's all pleasant and enjoyable!

3 comments:

  1. Oh no. You didnt let a man in the garden with a chainsaw did you Sharon. Do not leave a man unattended with a chainsaw in the domestic garden!!! The smell of petrol and cut wood is all together too powerful and we get carried away with our trigger finger. The revs of the engine are ssooo intoxicating and before you know it you have....shall we say more firewood than is needed and the garden looking like a new recruit in the army. Not that I have done this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahahaha!
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo, by the way, it's a beautiful one! E

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter