Sunday, September 26, 2010

Extra-ordinary Birthday Love

It ages me to think back to Std 3, and the days when new baby's just miraculously appeared .... and telling my childhood friend, 'Guess what - I have a baby sister'. My Mum made this cake for my little sister's 40th Birthday. We all went along to party with her on Saturday at lunchtime. My Mum and Dad are amazing parents - in fact my sister Julie got the best kind of parents in the world! You see she has intellectual challenges so this means life hasn't been that straight forward for her and at times this has impacted hugely on Mum and Dad. However in spite of that they have remained totally dedicated and involved in Julie's life. This has not been an easy road at times.

The preparations for her birthday celebrations came at a time that both Mum & Dad were really unwell with a nasty bout of flu - but 'true to form' they soldiered on and the party went ahead as planned and a good time was had by all. I just love Jul's cake and the sandwiches that Mum made were particularly delicious - there was loads of food of course. Darling man took some of those sammies in his lunch box for night shift last night and reported that they were very tasty - especially the mustard zing! They certainly had loads of love poured into them. We had the last of them toasted with our Leek & Potato soup for lunch today!

Julie is an artist - I love her pictures - I love that they are so free and crazy - bright and colourful - and always seem to include some interesting detailing work. Since no birthday is complete without presents we bought Julie some pastels and colored pencils that you can turn into water colors with water and a brush. I know she will enjoy using them and who knows - she may produce some more 'masterpieces' for us to enjoy. We put them on the fridge where we can see them often. She blesses us with her artistic gift.


6 comments:

  1. Wasn't it a great party?! You did a great job Nana and Grandad, and it was lovely to see you all. And thanks Mum for articulating in your wee speech some of the things that we appreciate about Jules. You have a real gift with words. Coupled with the way you genuinely love the people around you, it's beautiful to behold. xo Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love Julie's art. I taught special needs children for 20+ years and have loved art on my walls by loved students. The birthday party sounds so lovely. Bless your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was very young I knew all about babies ...I knew that if I found labels in Mum's sewing box with her name on it meant that another baby would arrive ...only I was wrong as what I had found in the box were the ones left over from when Mum labelled her things for going in the 'home' when my youngest sister (and last in our family) was born.
    Your parents sound amazing, you must have been and still are a very loving family ...and I love the colours in your sister's art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jules is 40? Wow - I have such fond memories of Julie growing up. She was always so delighted to see us, she would be full of smiles and her giggles would bring light and laughter. She danced with passion and enthusiasm - much the way she paints now. I cant believe she is 40!
    Bronnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Julie, maybe it is from the Foster side my Bronagh gets her arty side. Hope Aunty Faye and Uncle Brian are felling better now.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter