Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Workbag

My workbag - the one that contains my latest knitting project got an airing this weekend. I decided it was time for me to polish off a few projects and bring them to a close. A ruffled, fluffy scarf got tied off and put away for next winter. I had some rows to knit so that the woolshop ladies can help me with the next stage of my pink cardy - yes the one I mentioned on my blog A G E S ago. However just as I was poised to knit I realised I only had one needle - I must have left the other one at the shop last time I was in there getting some instruction. I think I will take it to work on Monday and head on down there in my lunch break and do the few needed rows so I can leave my cardy there for them to work their magic. They are so committed - almost more so than me - that this cardy is going to work out! The truth is - things don't always turn out the way we want them to.

I do want it finished though so that I can have it ready to wear next winter - mainly so that when the urge to knit hits me next autumn I can start a fresh project and not feel compelled to grind on with something started the year before! That will not do.

My workbag pictured here is made out of two special garments. The black was a skirt that I bought when shopping with a good friend, I wore it heaps but as it began to go into its death throes I found I couldn't part with it. Now it has a new lease of life that could go on for some long time yet. The beautiful pure silk lining was a top that I wore to a family wedding that began happily but ended sadly. The silk top remains - stitched into my bag - to remind me that even sad things bring outpourings of God's grace and goodness as time passes.

I love my workbag - it means that something interesting is in progress - a bit like our lives really - 'a work in progress'.

4 comments:

  1. First of all..welcome back Domestic Goddess! So glad to see you here. Your bag is perfect. I love that it has such stories attached to it and to use for your knitting adds another special dimension. Arohanui.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful bag made with memories which has a beautiful purpose in life. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love your bag story, so very poignant and so just life. lov

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. Must be in our genes the memory thing, I always look at things no matter how old and think I wore the to such and such or the girls gave me that for so and so.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter