Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cosy Gift 3

Today I learned about 'Operation Cover Up'- Kiwis making blankets for orphan children in Romania, Moldova and Ukraine. It all started in 2000 with Liz from Taupo who wanted to provide blankets for her sponsored child in Moldova. She contacted some friends..... and now many Kiwis are knitting loving stitches for children who suffer innocently from the conditions where they live. The project has spread to cities and towns all over NZ. I understand that recently the 50,000-th blanket was sent!!!!

Knit or crochet a square or a whole blanket, donate wool or money for wool. They send all sorts of other helpful things their way too.
Apparently scarves are needed - now that sounds like a bit of me! So if you are looking for knitting that will keep you clicking purposefully and you want to know how to help with these 'cosy gifts' or find out who your local co-ordinator is phone Liz Clarke 07 378 9171 or Maureen Braun 03 327 6413. If you live in Te Awamutu, the 'Courier' office is a drop off place for wool donations and also where you can get some wool to knit/crochet a blanket or a square and get the specs on size to make it.
'Having a bed covered by warm blankets brings more than warmth to these children.... although abandoned by parents due to poverty of the family, they are loved by someone far away. The distance means nothing as the blanket is a tangible means of conveying your love.'
pg 20 Overcomers 2009.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely blogs Ma! I've just read several at once, and the ones about Paeroa Nana and Reporoa Nana both made me cry. I feel so blessed to have amazing women who are going ahead of me in life, and provide a 'gold standard' for me to try to live up to. SO much love...I'm really enjoying the sunshine in France but I find it comforting to know that I can cozy up with some knitting when I get home, to get me through the rest of winter (is that sad??) I love you heaps Ma, Erica xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what a good idea to knit for the children!! I think I'll have a break from garments for a wee while and do some squares or scarves ;) E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you too, darling girl... thankful for the beautiful young women heading along beautifully into the future as well!!! xoxo Mum

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter