Friday, September 11, 2009

Woolmarks

We bought this gorgeous 'man-cardy' at our local Hospice shop for $7. Thing is, it wasn't second hand, it was brand spanking new, the Pure New Wool label still intact. Not the sort of thing my darling man would normally wear but just perfect for 'post-shoulder-op' when getting things on and off over one's head can be painful. It's been excellent and looks great on him too!

Seeing the labels made me feel nostalgic about days gone by when we made most of our own wool garments here in NZ. The latest recession has seen the closure of more local garment making businesses - some of them long-standing.

I recently bought myself a gorgeous crimson (like the maths blocks we used to have at primary school) or raspberry red, Pure NZ Merino Wool, lightweight cardy. Darling man had sent me off to 'buy myself something nice' since I had been such a lovely wife and nurse and helper and support as he has been recuperating from his op.
However, my new top, sad to say was made in China. Not that I have anything against China. I just feel sad that we send our beautiful Pure NZ Merino Wool to China so they can make stuff real cheap and send it back to us....

Yesterday I picked up a bargain. Oh how I love a bargain! A LINE 7, 50% Wool ,drape-y top for $20 - was $140. Sadly the NZ Made LINE 7 label is in its death throes !

I wonder is there some way NZ can come up with a grand scheme to manufacture our own high quality, gorgeous clothes from our Fine Merino and Pure Virgin Wool? Even if it means we buy less clothes of higher quality. 'Less is more' after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter