Monday, September 7, 2009

Lollies

I have a sweet tooth! I have lolly memories right back to my preschool days! Chewy, yellow 'Banana Bikes'... a neat cube, wrapped in bright yellow, waxed paper from the wee shop up from our house at Kerepehi. Packets of 4 'Changing Balls' when we holidayed at Uncle Bert & Auntie Vyver's Bach at Whangamata. They were way too hard to bite but as you sucked them they changed colour and flavour!
Later on it was the delight of a 50c mixture and hoping to find a Bubble Gum or two in the bag. I still prefer the old fashioned lollies but I have tried some of our girls 'Sour Worms' or 'Nerds' at times. I can't say that either were my favourite lolly taste experience!
I also remember that Nana Foster always had Minties or McIntosh's Toffees - she called them 'paper lollies' and Nana Main would often have Blackballs or Raspberry Drops which are boiled sweets. All tasty treats... however these days try I keep my lolly consumption to a minimum. Mainly for the sake of my teeth and my figure! Once I start I find it's hard to stop!

Recently I tried this new Caramel Cookie recipe which has half a Jersey Caramel- a great old time lolly - pressed into the top of it! Very tasty. Darling Man took the cookie tin down to share them with his mates at morning coffee on Thursday morning and they gave them the 'thumbs up'. You might enjoy them too. Very chewy & caramel-ly. Hey a wee slither of lolly nestled in a cookie can hardly be harmful!

Caramel Cookies

60 gms butter
2 Tblspns Golden Syrup
2 Tblspns brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
8 soft Caramel Lollies (Maycey's Jersey Caramels)

Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Place the butter, golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until a smooth dough forms. Roll into balls and place on baking trays lined with baking paper. Press to flatten and top each with half a caramel lolly. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on trays. Makes 16 cookies.

3 comments:

  1. oooh yum! These sound like a bit of me! Will try in the weekend and let you know how I get on. Will have to at least double the mixture though, 8 lollies doesn't sound anywhere near enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8 lollies stood out to me too... but in a more peculiar way... in the way that I can't wait to go to the supermarket and count out just 8 (maybe 1 more for the road)... 9 delectable and precious (in a cookie kind-a-way) caramel lollies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha! Isn't fabulous that there are 'recipe writing people' who are precise in a way that helps us to bake a thing and be sure to have enough ingredients!!! I say, buy a whole packet, use only 8 and eat the rest!!!! OR be a 'Sensible Susan' and double the mixture and use almost all the lollies save 1 or 2 that you scoff while cutting them up!

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter