Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Patchwork for a Princess

After attending a local patchwork exhibition with all these extensive, elaborate, B E A U T I F U L quilts - I felt inspired to have a go myself. However the quilts on display looked like hours and hours of dedicated, precise work which I wasn't really up for so I decided on a micro patch project.

I know little girls love to stash all their precious bits into a wee bag and cart them around because we had four wee princesses of our own. With that in mind I made a wee bag for my little 'princess' niece who lives in France. It was the perfect opportunity for a pleasurable, patchwork project that wasn't going to take time ad-infinite-um!

At the moment I prefer to be able to do lots of different types of stitching. I also like to see some reasonably quick results for my efforts. Stitching a smaller project that still involves all the same sort of skills as a larger one gives the same measure of pleasure for much less time input and at less expense too.

The little bag for Liliana is made from the scraps of material left over from the cot quilt I made for her as a baby which still lays on her bed. I bought the fabrics at a fabulous patch-workers paradise out at Gordonton called 'Grandmothers Garden'

It is a lovely old villa with multiple nooks and crannies all bursting with gorgeous fabrics to stitch, kit sets to make up and piles of books. They also run a variety of classes.

Our local Patch-workers who ran the excellent exhibition, have a weekly get together to stitch . Who knows I may even join them sometime and extend myself into a larger, more challenging project and share in some of their expertise!

2 comments:

  1. im lovin liliana's bag, nice work :) patchwork rulz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea about beginning in a small way. Always wise when tackling a new project. The photo made me laugh out loud. Trust her to be holding the bag in her mouth. lov helen

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter