Sunday, June 13, 2010

Up-Cycle

I am particularly drawn to old things that look like they might have a story. We found this old stool covered with layers of paint at our local 'transfer station'. In reality - 'we found it at the local dump shop'. By design it looks like an 'old school', serviceable piece of everyday, domestic furniture. It has a handle-hole on the seat so that kinda makes it a portable and multi-tasking thing.

Practical. Useful. Sturdy.

The layers of paint interest me - each coat at some stage giving it a new lease of life. I wonder how many different places it has lived and given domestic service. I have now sanded it back a bit here and there, letting the evidence of it's own natural wear and tear be my guide. Then I gave it a thin, wispy coat of varnish and now it sits in my 'special room' with my bits and pieces upon it. I love old things because they have a life and a story.

They are especially precious if they are part of your own story - like a wooden high-chair in our back shed. It needs some restorative work but I have my eye on it for our little grandchildren to sit in when that time comes along. My 3 sisters and I have all sat in that highchair, our own four girls too and who knows how many other dear, little cherubs along the way. It needs a bit of mending but it's still sturdy and capable of another round of Farex and baby veges I'm sure!

What favorite things do you have in your home that are old, but restored to domestic service by a little tender loving care?

8 comments:

  1. Did you know you have another cuzzie blogger too? Marilyn's blog is called My Magpie Collection. How lucky I am to have so many wonderful cousins!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by on my blog. We are 2nd cousins, my father Ewen Parsons was your Mum's cousin. I remember Mum & Dad going to your parents wedding - I was in hospital having just had my tonsils out - the things we remember!! I stumbled across your blog 'somehow' in my blog rambles and am really enjoying it; you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of your parents' wedding toast list - have a look at my blog. If you don't already have a copy I can email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen you on here for a while Hope all is well.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Domestic Goddess..we are missing you. I hope we didn't put you off by suddenly landing on your lovely blog! I hope you will be back soon. I pray all is well with you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Joan!!!.........where are you???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey you should nominate your blog for the the Best woman blogger of the year. Check it out at www.mumsontop.co.nz

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter