Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Blankie

It's quite an exciting adventure to launch into a stitching project without a pattern - just a vague vision of an idea - that 'this could work'. I wanted some mindless plain knitting. I thought a baby blankie to tuck away in my Grandma's 'hope chest' would be a good plan.
Thing is I didn't have a plan as such - just a colour combo and a vague sense of how I wanted it to look. I am quite a structured person but I also really like the creative energy of 'lets just get started and see how it develops' thing too! A little bit of domestic risk-taking.

It's been fun launching in, dashing off to one of our local wool shops to stash away wool, trying to anticipate how much I'll need as I go along and hoping like mad they won't run out just as I get to the last few squares!!!!
Working out a 'pattern' for the layout of the squares is quite a mathematical thing too which is definitely not one of my strong points. It has been laid out on the spare bed with bits of paper to represent as yet un-knitted squares and it has nearly done my head in at times, trying to work out where to put what colour to get some balance combined with a dash of randomness! When I am nearly finished another square I start to knit at a feverish pace as I anticipate the satisfaction of slotting in another 'real live' square and screwing up the paper one it replaces! Oh the thrills of the domestic life!!!!
Getting to this stage I have decided that it is going to work! Whew coz it has cost a little more than I first thought but it is pure wool and it will keep one of our grandbabies warm one day!!
As I knit the last few squares I am dreaming up a scheme for edging it.... I have a bit of an idea to experiment with. I'll let you know how I get on!

2 comments:

  1. It looks even more fabulous in real life! Thank God for fantastically creative, crafty mothers, cos there is no way I'd even attempt to knit a peggy square let alone a WHOLE blanket. SJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous Ma
    x Erica

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter