Friday, January 8, 2010

Corners

While the rest of NZ seems to be off on some sort of a holiday, Darling Man and I are happily settling ourselves back into a work routine. His long 'off work' period of 'shoulder surgery and recovery' is now over and he's transitioning back to work! For most of the time he was off work he was really un-well due to post-op complications with his stomach... so our days were quiet and careful and restful.

However, for the last bit he started to feel much better and did some lovely jobs around our home which included lots of painting of doors, door frames, skirtings and other generally grotty areas. I still enjoy the daily reminders of his loving, humble service to me, to make our home look nice - 'It's your workspace', he would say, 'so I want it to be nice for you'! One of the bits he tackled was a corner between the laundry and toilet that was ugly - he pulled off a yukky cupboard and boarded up and painted the area it vacated. It looks so much better, so much so that I felt inspired to make some nice hand-towels to hang on the wall by the tub where we wash our hands.
I cranked up my sewing machine and used some fabric scraps I have kept over the years (I am a self-confessed hoarder of fabrics) - scraps from past sewing projects - a blouse of mine, a skirt I made for a friend and one of our daughters 'best' dresses'. I cut and layered heart shapes and left raw edges so that as they're washed they fray beautifully giving them a 'rag rug' look which suits our home quite well! Oh and while I was 'on a roll' I forced myself to make three of them the same - one to use, one in the wash and one clean in the cupboard.

2 comments:

  1. Well...... a nice work space means you spend more time there..... and time there will probably mean some more lovely baking and delicious meals which I really appreciate. More cakes as well which my work mates also devour.
    Selfish aye??? and a little devious !!!

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter