Monday, May 24, 2010

Modesty & Humble Pie

I admire modesty. My mother has modeled it to me (without even realising it) and the older I get the more I appreciate it. Recently we spent a night with my parents. For dessert my Mum whipped up an apple pie - from scratch that is - she made her own pastry. I watched as she did the deed - impressed with her skill and the apparent ease with which the whole deal came together. But hey the proof of the pudding is in the eating and I tell you what this 'humble apple pie' was just gorgeous - the pastry so light and 'melt in your mouth' - a delightful end to a family meal shared together!! I think there is something really special about ya Mum's home cooking even long after you have left home and cooked for years for your own little family!

I think the character trait of modesty is a bit like my Mum's apple pie - it takes years of pastry making experience to make beautiful, light pastry like my Mum makes and so it takes time and practice to develop this godly quality of modesty. An apple pie is a humble, ordinary dessert - not flashy - just like modesty - a subtle, unsung character quality rarely celebrated but when you experience it or come across it it is a beautiful thing to behold! A valuable and rare treasure in a world that constantly tells us to 'put ourselves out there' and 'you deserve it' etc.

I am glad my Mum is a modest person and has set a great example for the girls in our family to follow. I also love her apple pie and hope that with time and practice I might be able to make apple pie like her one day too!

5 comments:

  1. Modesty is important,in this modern world of exposure, to keep something inside is to nurture and protect it.To treasure who you are. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a hard call as modesty also means women are not paid as well as men as they don't sell their skills as well. It is a thing we need to chose when we use it and when to blow our own trumpet.
    Me I am still the one who never talks herself up, has no faith in any of my skills then when someone says.... I tihnk I could have done that why didn't I speak up.

    Now you have made me want Apple Pie too but unlike your Mum pastry is not my forte

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. The modesty yes,the apple pie & other of mums cooking,just great.Fays mum[& my mum] were great cooks,my mother in law was a wonderful cook,nothing flashy but the real basic lovely put on the table meal.I know where Fay got it from.My mum cooked in Hotels,the Roseland & the Crown,for years on the coal range,great cook was my Mum.I found this out when I lived in a Hostel[Kerepehi]when I left home 1959.
    Fay made up for this when we got married,Great cook is Fay.Hopeless cook am I,though I can boil an egg.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon. Aunty Vyver sent me your blog. Another blogger in the family! I am your Mum's first cousin. Lovely to find your blog. We probably have met somewhere along the way.. but lovely to meet you here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must go to bed! I have been reading through your blog and loving it. My fav. the pic of your four beautiful girls with their dad.. and the idea of the recipe books you made for them. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter