Saturday, February 13, 2010

Loving Cambridge

About once a month I accompany my friend on a pleasant little jaunt to Cambridge. We ducked into the main street, triangular cafe to order our coffee and a tasty morsel and tucked ourselves up in the 'corner snug' to enjoy a catch up on life's ups and downs and happenings. The company of a good friend over coffee was a most enjoyable beginning to my lovely time in Cambridge. We meandered up the street and poked our noses in a few shops and the odd dressing room to try on as well. I tried on this gorgeous wee frock from the sale rack at OobyRyn. It was nice on but didn't quite 'grab me' enough to buy it. I have since read that Robyn Brooks, Ooby Ryn's fashion designer also does award winning millinery by special order. So if you are ever in need of a hat....

My friend duly went off to her appointment and I was left to my own devices for an hour or so. I love a wander and a fossick in Cambridge - especially in their Second Hand shops! I usually do the rounds while I'm there...
I scored big time! Some cute vintage fabric. Another New Zealand made '70's Coffee mug for my collection. A dainty silver oblong cake plate with a cute handle which I will endow with some suitably dainty baking one day... watch this space! A nice little paisley, silky top that fitted me just fine. I like dear old paisley patterns! A piece of expensive looking upholstery fabric in gorgeous colours to make cushions for my retro chair for a mere two bucks! I usually pop into Kate Fitzpatrick's to drool over their fancy domestic wares. I splashed out a cute wee tea cosy card for my niece's Birthday! Feeling chuffed with my purchases I took a walk up toward the Town Hall to find a now much needed toilet! Back in the days they used to call it 'spending a penny', in Cambridge it costs you 50 cents - money well spent in my opinion!
The architecture and gardens within the town limits are quite beautiful and seemed to look particularly stunning bathed in summer sunshine. I then remembered the HertiageGallery I love to look around there - the artwork is varied and interesting. One day if I come into some money I might just head in there and buy something. Meantime I am happy to enjoy a visual feast of art appreciation for a moment or two and dream about what I would buy if I could!
Yep I love Cambridge - its a special place. My grandparents used to live there so I think about them too and remember quite clearly our browsings in Wright's bookshop and coming away with a colouring book and a new set of un-spoilt, shiny crayons! On other visits to Cambridge with my friend I have spent time thumbing through their lovely books. The town's gift shops are divine too!

I have heard that the Cambridge Farmers Market which is held weekly on a Saturday is well worth checking out as well....

Lovely, lovely - so many things to see and do in a quaint little rural town where most things are within easy walking distance for a happy wanderer!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really nice day, Ma, and good shopping! You've got the skills...I've been to the Cambridge Farmer's Market and really enjoyed- Soggy Bottom Meat, fresh apple juice, Cornish Pasties and lots of veges. I also have a special memory of Cambridge- coming home from visiting Nana and Pop by myself I parked up next to the toilets and hoed into the cookies Nana had baked and put into a beautiful tin for me. I think of them most times I pass that spot. X Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect day!

    I have not been further than Wellington since I was 7 years old. visiting Auckland for the first time ever later this year and really looking forward to it. I have a real yearning to explore our north island lately.

    Thanks for your comment on 'the window' :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to Cambridge tomorrow to meet
    up with some travelling friends, they're
    from Australia and have been touring NZ for a fortnight. Cambridge is a lovely spot, and with some very attractive natural features,
    including the river; and a little manmade lake that dwells in the town,surrounded by magnificent trees. Del

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your photos - specially the one of the shop door. Im wondering if you could do a photo blog with some of your best shots! helen

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter