Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Nectar

Nectarines are in season - 'run down your chin' juicy and sweet. I decided that they may go well in a muffin with a bit of strong Vanilla Essence, a few threads of shredded coconut and a sprinkling of chopped white chocolate.

Cafe muffins can often be disappointing - sometimes stodgy or too LARGE like a doorstop or so sweet that the only thing you can taste is the chocolate and not the fruit. I think an excellent muffin is light, and the flavors are individually recognisable and yet combined they enhance the overall 'muffin experience'. I am happy to report that my mornings muffin making was quite satisfactory. The nectarine tasted like it was lightly poached but kept its shape and flavor. The coconut was just a 'hint flavor' and the odd sweet burst of white chocolate and vanilla brought in a little sweet relief.

The cotton/linen serviette is part of a previously un-opened, 'as new' boxed set I picked up recently from a second hand shop. It has a reasonable sized table cloth to match. I love the colours!

The fruit muffin recipe I use is a basic one that allows you to use your own combination of fruit-y, sweet-y flavors. I've tried a few different combination's. I'm sure you have some of your own up your sleeve.

Carey-Lee & Israel's Fruit Muffins

100 gms butter
1 cup milk
4 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
1 egg
1 cup of any fruit
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup choc chips (optional)

Melt butter, add egg and beat well. Add milk, fruit and sugar - mix well. Add flour, baking powder and chocolate. Stir but don't over-mix. Cook at 200 deg C for 15 minutes.

My muffins pictured had a generous cup of chopped, fresh nectarine, 1/4 cup of shredded coconut and 1/4 cup chopped white chocolate. I also sprinkled a little coconut on each muffin before putting them in the oven which toasted up a treat!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'll have to drop in for a taste! I hope you didn't make those this morning, its not yet half 8! SJx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! This post makes me hungry. I might have to test out this recipe. Hi from a Kiwi Mum :D

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter