Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Can't Resist!

If I am in a second hand shop I simply can't resist grabbing any old books I see - you know the 'classics' - titles we all know from 'back in the days'. I do fancy myself reading some of the titles to our grandkids one day and expect that they will be extra special because they are from another time with loads of charm and brilliant with extensive vocabulary. We shall see - however meantime I just like them because they are old and precious and delicately constructed with old style illustrations - and they remind me of books that were sat on our bookshelves when I was a child.

The other thing I like to do is to borrow old books from our local Library - often they have to search for them on the National Library web and bring them in from afar. Like one I am reading at the moment - 'Greenbanks' by Dorothy Whipple. The first edition was published in 1932! I first read of Dorothy Whipple's books on Jane Brocket's website YARNSTORM. One thing's for sure - they are rich with vocabulary and the character development is fabulous! She is an author with a real insight into people and how they think and behave. Last night I laughed out loud as I read her book! People are so interesting - and people who observe people and express that in an amusing way are even MORE interesting!

When we were on holiday up in Northland I did my usual scavenge in local second hand shops and was rewarded with a dear little Oxford illustrated Bible - hardly used which is normally a good thing when you are talking second hand but in this case it made me feel a little sad. A shame that some of the best stuff ever written has not been devoured by the previous owner! Maybe something like this - 'immaculate condition, one careful lady owner, kept on the shelf for special occasions only'.

1 comment:

  1. My favourite childhood books [ the 50's]
    were Heidi, Anne of Green Gables, Pollyanna,
    adventure stories such as Treasure Island,
    The Famous Five,a collection of encyclopaedias.
    In teen years old books of war stories based on fact - Reach for the Sky, Colditz,
    The Dam Busters [ which I have on the bookcase ] The old playrights - Ibsen, Steinbeck.
    Stories by A.J Cronin,Somerset Maugham.etc etc.
    I'd like to still have in my possession books from my childhood because they were my treasures but my father put them in school gala day stalls to assist fundraising.
    As a child I read books above my reading age
    off the adult bookshelves, too numerous to list here. I love old books too Sharon.
    Del

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter