Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mellow Yellow

Yellow is a colour I appreciate but never wear. I doesn't suit me so well. A pale, banana yellow without much warmth is OK like the 'shift frock' that I wore and loved when I was about 10 years old. It was embroidered over it's full length in silky thread. I think I liked it cause it was a bit grown-up.
I really like this yellow bach we saw near Houhora when we were holidaying up north. I like the way they have modernized it and yet at the same time maintained something of it's old-school, classic kiwi-bach look.
There is no other colour quite like yellow - bananas, banana bike lollies, sunshine., sweetcorn... Back in the days when pink was for girls and blue was for boys, yellow was considered a 'safe' colour to knit for an expected baby because you wouldn't know if it was going to be a boy or a girl. Of course these days those things don't matter at all.

Yellow is cheery, heartwarming and bright. I like this yellow tea pot from my Nana's precious, old tea set. I like yellow sunflowers - partly because they always remind me of my special Fiji friend - Keresi.

Today I'm feeling all mellow and appreciating yellow....
What yellow things do you like?

5 comments:

  1. Our lemon tree is really starting to do its thing now , so out come the books and any recipe with lemon looks tempting. Not good to look through when your hungry. Like shopping when hungry. You want it all. Well I do anyway. Fresh new seasons lemons mmm. Do yellow "jetplanes" count? Hot yellow custard on a hot sweet pudding in the coming winter. Yellow snow should probably be avoided this winter. See you darlings. All this talk makes me hungry. Going to cook something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Ilooked round my house for something yellow and alas I am not a yellow person either.Nothing in my wardrobe,nothing in my bathrooms only blue things,aah the kitchen must be something there,some little yellow bananas left over from my Ten year old grandaughters birthday party today,all the lollies and chunk food was demolished except the little yellow bananas. Oh and here on the fridge are some lovly yellow sunflower fridge magnets great They are perfect for holding all that very important information that you musnt forget.Have a great mellow yellow week gael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love yellow - lemons for example,
    refreshing, enlivening and flavoursome.
    I love the inner feeling one has from thinking about the sun; the warmth of yellow a visual penetrative light. Yellow moonlight [borrowed from the sun ] creates an atmosphere for evocative thought, from mellow to magical.
    I love interior yellow paint work in some homes. Yellow tulips, yellow vegetables.
    Yellow to complement blue and white flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops anonymous forgot to leave their name after their comment:)
    'tis Del..

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmm, well looking around my home I have nothing yellow,except my handtowel I take to the gym.
    Oh no wait my first car was yellow,like real banana yellow,Datsun 120y she was and smoked like a chimney.I don't wear yellow,makes me look washed out,I think its suited to more olive skined or dark haired chicks,I do like yellow sunflowers tho....Teressa

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter