Monday, July 27, 2009

ANZAC Biscuits

Sometimes a time honoured, family recipe is called for. My Darling Man has been recovering from shoulder surgery. His shoulder is healing beautifully but his stomach has taken a huge hit!
So as he ventures back into eating normal food again, my baking has gone back to basics. One of his (late) Mum's recipes - in her lovely handwriting. It comes from the days of baking with basic ingredients already in the larder. It fits the bill perfectly!
While I bake I enjoy a warm emotional connection with my lovely mother in law.
I think of her and all the baking she did over the years for her family (10 kids). Darling Man is double-y comforted remembering his Mum as he dunks his ANZAC biccy! Classic comfort food.

ANZAC Biscuits.

Melt together -
125gms butter
2TBspn Golden Syrup

Meanwhile mix the following dry ingrediants together in a bowl -
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup coconut

Mix 1 tsp baking soda with 2 Tspns boiling water and add to melted ingrediants and then mix together with dry ingredients. Roll into small balls and flatten with a fork.
Bake 150degC until golden - about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I’ve been enjoying the Domestic Goddess and printed the ANZAC biscuits recipe. I want to try it soon cos I already have all the ingredients and you make it sound so easy. I love those biscuits too. Keresi - FIJI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I read this about ANZAC Biscuits -
    'Recipes for ANZAC biscuits appeared from the early 1920's. Defined by its basic ingredients... it's an honest biscuit and with its sweet chewy/crunchy texture, quickly became a favorite of home bakers.'
    Pg 89 "Kiwiana - the Sequel"
    by Richard Wolfe & Stephen Barnett

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter