Monday, July 6, 2009

Lovely Leeks!

My husband is definitely the chief gardener and I am his humble assistant. When I read NZ Gardener's Weekly email and got inspired to grow leeks and he saw how teeny the seedlings were he didn't fancy himself the fiddle of planting them. I put my hand up and offered to do it proclaiming that the promise of Leek and Potato Soup would make them worth the trouble. A slow and tedious job it turned out to be - tweezers may have been a helpful tool!
However, we are now harvesting them and making gorgeous soup - a recipe from my flatting days. AND it adds to the taste knowing the leeks have been lovingly planted by moi! I may even attempt a French Leek Tart of some description in time! (The celery we grew wasn't quite so good - a little too damp here in the Waikato in winter I think!)

Vichyssoise Soup

3 or 4 leeks
3 or 4 stalks of celery
2 cups diced potato
1 onion
1 Maggi Chicken Soup (or Stock) & water to mix
1 1/2 cups milk
salt & pepper
2 Tbspns butter
Trim leeks, cutting off green tops. Chop leeks & onions. Saute in butter until slightly brown. Add chopped celery, potato, chicken soup dissolved in water. Add salt & pepper and enough water to cover veges. Bring slowly to the boil, simmer 3/4 hr with lid on. Put in blender/kitchen whizz or mash and enjoy a few lumps! Add milk or 1/2 cup cream - reheat gently but do not boil.


1 comment:

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter