Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Return to Domesticity

Recently I watched a slot on 60 minutes - “Housewife Superstar” by Ellen Fanning (TV3 Mon 22nd June 09). I felt deeply moved! Here were all these ‘20-something Mums’ choosing to stay at home and raise their own children AND they’re proud to say, ‘I’m a housewife.’ It seems that there is a new wave of women who don’t ‘want it all’ and they don’t want to ‘turn into their own frazzled, working Mothers’ either. This sounds like the 50’s reborn! Is there more to retro than clothes and furniture? Is there a new generation who are rejecting feminist ideals because they are sick of the struggle and juggle of trying to raise children AND have a high powered career?

Australian Women’s Weekly ran an article in April 2009 ‘A Return to Domestic Bliss’ by Louise Mackay. ‘… it appears that women of all ages are heeding another call….. harking back to simpler times of home, hearth and heart, where the back garden was more than a manicured lawn and the occasional topiary tree and the kitchen was the bustling epicentre of family activity.’
I am enjoying being a housewife again after years of my own struggle and juggle. Our children are all grown up now so I am seriously indulging myself in all the delights of domesticity again… along with developing my passion for writing and family history. Our girls call me the ‘Domestic Goddess’ and so this blog is born. I hope my musings will inspire others to enjoy domestic life to the full – whether working outside the home or not!

6 comments:

  1. Well done Sister for creating something that will, I am sure, be of interest to women across the globe as we all create, relate and negate within our own individual domestic zones....I am coming to you from France via London and New Zealand.....
    Simple pleasures...food and flowers, linen and gorgeous soaps, home baking and pretty china...my husband enjoys being huge part of all of this...I think that this is what has changed for the better from the eras past...it is now normal for men to get involved in, and pleasure from, traditionally feminine activities in the home and this I feel is to be celebrated! Do we really want to go back to sole charge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting times - I did manage to catch that piece on 60 minutes. I think people are taking more pleasure from the simple things in life. We can thank the recession for accelerating that process - it is well overdue.
    I was fortunate that Dad did get involved with cooking and the household and I believe he enjoyed it! These simple and rewarding pleasures can be enjoyed by all irrespective of gender. Reading your comments so reminds me of the lunch here discussing fabric and other great treasures in life, the biggest pleasure being with family and friends.
    Congratulations Sharon for launching your writing skills where it is accessible to us and stimulating our minds x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon Vyver here. learning to Blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Auntie Vyver!
    You're doing GREAT!
    Love Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got broadband now. I am a speedy aunty.Lots of love. Vyver

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Auntie Vyver - that will make a HUGE difference! Hope you're having a good day!

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter