Friday, March 19, 2010

Apples

Cut up an apple into quarters and eat it with an afternoon cup of tea! Despite the weirdness it turns out to be a delicious combination I really enjoy! Especially at this 'apple' time of year. Autumn is for apples... shortcakes and crumbles - my Aunty Shirley's Chocolate Apple Cake - stewed apples with porridge and yogurt - now there's a really tasty combo!

As a child I can remember apples from the Hawkes Bay carefully laid in a wooden box - each one wrapped in pink tissue paper. Oh that fantastically memorable crunch factor and the crisp texture! Now's the time to begin to enjoy this seasonal delight all over again.

It's amazing to get an actual letter in the mail these days. I know!!!!!! I love it when people sit down and write us a letter! This one from my Darling Man's lovely sister who lives in Aussie was practically bulging with goodies. A nice letter, her memoirs of family life at a time when my Darling Man was too young to remember for himself - a precious insight into the family way back then AND some recipes. One of which I tried.... the mixture is super-chunky and over-loaded with apples but it cooks up a treat. We waited 'til ours cooled and we're eating it as a cake but I feel sure it would be equally as delicious hot, as a dessert with custard, cream or ice-cream OR all three!!!

Kerry's Apple Cake.

Melt 125 gms butter and set aside to cool a bit.

Mix together the following -

1 1/2 cups self raising flour
3/4 cup raw sugar
3 - 4 apples chopped

Add to that 2 eggs lightly beaten and the cooled, melted butter. Don't mix in hot butter!

Bake at 180 deg C for 35 - 40 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Your opening line reminds me of my mother who swears there's nothing more complementary than coffee with a banana and a piece of chocolate. Personally, it's coffee and chocolate, sans fruit for me! janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I'll pass on fruit in favour of chocolate any day! Will try the cake though, sounds scrum! SJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha definitely girls!!!! Cherry Ripe and red wine!

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter