Saturday, March 27, 2010

Made a Start

Eeeeeek! I've finally made a start on my pink cardy after knitting up some sample squares to check my tension and lots of consultation with our local wool shop ladies. They have been amazing and honestly they seem as determined for me to succeed as I am. They are totally 'on my team' which is lovely - especially since they have so much more skill and experience than I do. I am really thrilled with their help and feel quite confident as I set out on this new knitting adventure!

Knitting is so therapeutic and just down right enjoyable. It's kind of cosy too working with wool. This yarn I am knitting right now is a wool alpaca blend and using big needles means it's growing pretty fast which is encouraging. I've noticed that any woman who has ever knitted at some time in her life, spots my knitting - is drawn to it like a magnet, she swoons a little and wistfully declares her desire to 'knit something' again! I wonder what it is about knitting that keeps us going back to this 'old school' domestic art???

I read this quote in a great book - 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - Our Year of Seasonal Eating' written by Barbara Kingsolver and I think it's part of the answer...
'A lot of human hobbies, from knitting sweaters to building model airplanes, are probably rooted in the same human desire to control an entire process of manufacture.'

The 'I made it myself' factor! What do you think? Which of the domestic arts are you drawn to and what keeps you going back for more?

As a PS - I was alerted to this fabulous, young Scottish woman's works of knitted art this last week Ysolda S. Teague
Talk about C O O L patterns!!! She invented them herself... what started off as a hobby at Uni is now a booming business. If you go to the link that cardy pattern is free.

2 comments:

  1. That quote is very Marxist he says that in a cpaitalist society we are removed from the process and only concentrate on small parts ie many of us don;t grow our own vegies or we buy our clothes. In todays society we have become detached from the simple things and craft gives us this connection back. I spent last weekend with a group of women Cross stitching and we had a lovely weekend solving all the problems of the world.
    Some of my fondest memories are from a group of us who used to get together and stitch once a week before I returned to work, the kids all played together, and we chatted and supported each other.We have all moved on with our lives but we all share a special bond.

    I have a real urge to knit too at the moment but not sure what to do.... will have to look at some patterns... you have inspired me... well I have a charity quilt squre to finish first.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi
    Michelle you sound like a busy person, thanks for the kind words of a good recovery for my operation, the only way i can thank you is thru this.
    Me and knitting something i have tried but never worked i have that feeling if Pat had of been a girl maybe i will of carried on with these skills, i don't think an 18 year old boy is really the knitting type, but who knows with 4 weeks in bed ahead of me maybe i should think of taking it up!
    Del

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter