Tuesday, March 2, 2010

To Knit or Not to Knit

For the first time in what seems like an eternal summer, I have found myself reaching for a cardy! The end of February signals the 'calendar' end of summer. As soon as my days open and close with a 'hint of chill' I start thinking of knitting. Not just the woolen 'colour play' of 'hot water bottle cover art' but a serious 'cardy' or 'man jersey' project.

Then I remember what happened this time last year and I feel a little nervous caution creep in... 'do I really want to go there again?', I ask myself! You see what happened is this. It took me ages to decide on a pattern 'cause I'm pretty fussy about style and fit. Then I carefully selected a beautiful, soft, pearly-grey, fluffy mohair. I knitted with care and precision a pattern that was manageable for my skill level with a bit of challenge thrown in. I launched out on the strength of the fact that our lovely, local knitting shop owner promised to rescue me if I got stuck. The project gave me hours of mesmerizing pleasure. Some of that related to the anticipation of actually wearing this gorgeous, fluffy garment!
However toward the end stages I became painfully aware of the fact that it wasn't going to fit me. I finished it off artfully with a selection of shell buttons of subtly different shades, that I had collected over many years. I tried it on and y e s, i t f i t t e d but not in a way that I am most comfortable with. Naturally I was deeply disappointed. I cried when I saw my Darling Man's beautifully sympathetic face! He had personally witnessed the hours that had gone into it.

Then something lovely happened. One of our gorgeous girls popped in to say 'hi'. I instantly knew what to do. I said, 'Try this on darling'. She was flabbergasted because she too knew of the dedication to my 'cardy' project. Reluctantly she obeyed and it fitted her beautifully - as if it were made for her. Without hesitation I gave my cardy away. It went to a good home!
So will I or won't I? That's the big question. Despite last years disappointment I feel the weather cooling, I hear the cicada's late summer song and I still feel a strong pull towards our local wool shop to find a pattern and put some wool away to begin a new cardy. This time I will rigorously check my tension to make sure it's a 'keeper'.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely knit Ma! There's always the potential for it to not work out as planned (like my cardie for nephew Luca) but its worth the risk for sure xo E

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter