Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Love Pink

Blue is for boys and pink is for girls... well that's what they used to say anyway. The lines are a little more blurred these days though. However I unashamedly love pink. This pink velvet tea cosy, a gift from my sister is one of the favorite things in my kitchen. When I spotted this 'old school' paisley, pink, hessian oven cloth at the Hospice shop I reached for it in such a hurry I nearly toppled over myself! I was afraid someone else may nab it ahead of me! You don't see them so much now. I have since been enjoying looking at it lounging on my bench next to G's tea cosy adding to the pink-ness of the little domestic scene! The other day I added a pink plate with freshly baked Louise Cake to complete the girly look!

Last week, after much deliberation I ordered some gorgeous pink wool to knit myself a cardy. The lovely, helpful woman at our local wool shop has suggested I allow her to monitor my progress to make sure this one fits! Part of the reason I love pink so much is that certain shades of it really compliment my skin tone. It suits me! Just as well I like it so much since we have four daughters which has meant a serious amount of pink things over the years!

We took some of the pink cake around to some friends last weekend who were in the process of moving house. They have two little boys so I'm sure a dose of pink will do them good! Call me old fashioned if you like, I don't mind - I like old fashioned, especially when it comes to recipes like this one!
Louise Cake

150gms butter
1/4 cup sugar
4 eggs separated
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup raspberry jam (or plum)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup coconut

Cream butter and first measure of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Sift flour and baking powder together. Stir into creamed mixture. Press dough into a 20 x 30 cm sponge roll tin lined with baking paper. Spread jam over the base. In a bowl beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Mix in the second measure of sugar and coconut. Spread this meringue mixture over the jam. Bake at 180 deg C for 30 minutes or until meringue is dry and lightly coloured. Cut into squares while still warm.



3 comments:

  1. Yuuuum! I got the last pice and it was so good!! I could of had many more!
    Your youngest darling girl x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it darling - perhaps you can come and visit next time I bake it and learn how to do it for yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mum used to make Louise Cake but I have to say yours looks way better (sorry Mum). I was wondering if we are drawn to colours that we know make us look good or feel it anyway?

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter