Tuesday, March 16, 2010

History in the Making

I have some extra special new art work for our wall. It is a photo of my mother - which was black and white before she artfully painted the colour into it. That's what she used to do for a job when she was a single, working girl in the 1950's. It mostly involved painting colour into aerial shots of farms. However she did a couple of pieces for herself. This portrait taken when she was on holiday with a friend in the South Island, one of herself as a bride and one of me as a baby. The friend that she holidayed with, later became her sister-in-law because she fell in love with her friend's brother! They married nearly 50 years ago and that man is also my Dad!

So I have had my mother's fabulous photos put onto canvas. 'The Mirrorbox' photo shop in Te Awamutu did a great job of replicating the originals with just a little sharpening up. They loved doing them and asked if we had any more! They are beautiful! I am really thrilled with them and I will hang them as a grouping on the wall. The colours are quite retro. I especially love my extra rosy, pink cheeks! I took them to Mum and Dad's at the weekend to show them and they really loved them too. I am happy that Mum's beautiful art work will be on display where it can be fully appreciated.

My other new artwork is a photo collage which is a teeny 'snapshot' representation of our time in Fiji. Our family lived there for four years so I wanted something visual in our house as a memoir of that. I cut and pasted and molded and polyurethaned these wooden block letters. They can either be hung on the wall or sat on a shelf. It was a fun project. Family history is precious and yet so many of our special, family bits and pieces lay hidden in boxes in a cupboard. So I have simply brought some of that stuff out for an 'airing' where it can be enjoyed!

1 comment:

  1. Mum, the photos look fantastic! How cool is it that some clever person thought of putting photos on to canvas. Also cool that they will be preserved for future generations x SJ

    ReplyDelete

 
web page hit counter
web page hit counter